About Me

My Photo

My name is Amy.
I get excited about every little thing.  I take pictures of my food and other people's food.  I live in Seattle and am happily married to a bearded grad student.  
Bon appetit!

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

stuffing



Our house currently smells like meat and I just polished off the entire bag of kettle corn my sister gave me as an early birthday present.

Edibles.  My family knows me well.

The beef roast simmering in our crockpot was inspired by Stephanie O'Dea at A Year of Slow Cooking.  She creates gluten-free slow cooker recipes that I pine for most during the colder months.  I had a bad experience the one (and only) other time I tried to make a roast, thanks to a lemon of a crockpot and a frenzied high heat situation in the oven - not one of my finer moments.  Today (years later), I decided to give it another try in my roommate, Rachel's, fancy pants crockpot - the one with the stainless steel exterior and digital timer.  There is a two and a half pound hunk of meat, onions, carrots, and an assortment of sauces I threw in there, just stewing away.

Here's hoping this cow sings.

Whenever I think of meat cooking for a long time, I also think about stuffing.  I mentioned a paleo recipe I made for our Friendsgiving dinner last month, and I feel it's time I came clean.  I didn't like it.  No one complained, but it wasn't what I expected.  I did learn that diced jicama can mimic diced potatoes when boiled for an hour, and I can appreciate the effort that went in to creating the recipe.  But I found that it was a lot of work for a mediocre (overly-eggy) result.

Maybe your experience will be different than mine?  If so, please give me some tips.  I think next time I'll bake an actual loaf of gluten-free cornbread and create a stuffing from it, instead of reinventing the wheel. 

A (non-bread) paleo stuffing recipe I can stand behind was introduced to me by my dear friend, Susie.  She writes a paleo food blog and is one fabulous mama!  Her Stuffing Stuffed Acorn Squash is one we all rave about in this house!  It is savory and slightly sweet and is the perfect accompaniment to poultry, roasted veggies, or as a stand alone meal.  I was thinking about this recipe today, while breathing in the aroma of cooked beef, and like that I'm falling for red meat again.

How do you like to make stuffing.. any interesting ingredients?  Let's brainstorm.

In the meantime, I'll be over here picking at my roast.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Your cooking has always inspired me.

      Delete